Feb 22, 2010

“Rest… it will pass…”



Last week, at the very beginning of the week – a Sunday morning, I was on an all time spiritual low and to top it all off I had a tooth ache – the painkillers were not responding and the dentist was booked up for a week. I was also slotted to lead worship the coming Friday. When I agreed to do it at the beginning of the week, I assumed my toothache would have disappeared by then. The toothache on the other hand, had no plans of doing so.

On my mind: I was wrestling with a few work related issues, plus plans I prayerfully put into motion were stagnant, the way ahead seemed foggier than usual. Gone were my blues skies, the still waters and the green pastures I so… yearned for. Instead here was I in my valley.

The toothache woke me up every two hours or so in the wee hours of the morning. I was taking painkillers (prescribed by me) haphazardly just to be rid of the pain and they weren’t responding. I was also telling myself that I should call up the worship team and tell them to find a replacement – as I believed in my heart I wouldn’t be able to make it. But during those times of doubt, I heard the still small voice assuring me, it would pass and to give it more time. “Rest… it will pass…” In the end, it did pass, all my doubts, anxieties along with the toothache vanished into thin air. I did heed the advice of the still small voice.

A lot of the time, we make decisions based on how we feel and the pressures of the world. A lot of the time, we should wait until the storm passes to make sound choices. It is difficult to see clearly when we are in pain, whether it is physical or emotional. It is hard to lean on God when the world pressures us to ‘just do it’.

No matter how difficult it is, no matter how painful it is… wait until the storm passes, wait until you can see clearly to take the next step and always, always trust God.

0 comments: